- No antibiotics added. Antibiotics are routinely given to cattle in factory farms to help manage the problems brought on by their highly concentrated grain diets and living conditions.
- No steroids or growth hormones. Steroids or bovine growth hormones are routinely given to commercial beef to speed up growth and weight gain for faster “finishing” times. These hormones actually make it into your body and have been implicated in a number of health problems, including acne.
- Contains healthy omega-3 fats. When cattle are fed their normal diet of pasture, their fat is different from that of their grain-fed, factory-farmed brethren – and it contains way more healthy omega-3 fats.
- Contains conjugated linolenic acid (CLA). This healthy, cancer-fighting fat is made normally in the chambers of the bovine stomach. Grass-fed animals are a great source of CLA-grain-fed factory-farmed animals have next to none due to high acidity of their stomachs.
- Animals tended as humanely as possible to minimize stress and trauma. Organic farms care deeply about their animals’ quality of life.
- Animals are fed no contaminated animal by-product feed. Serious, organic farmers raising cows on pasture simply don’t feed their cattle animal by-products, reducing or eliminating the risk of contamination and conditions such as mad cow disease.
- Minimal risk of E. colo. Grain-fed animals have a much higher level of acidity in their stomachs, which E. coli need to survive. Pasture-fed animals do not have an internal environment that’s hospitable to E.coli.
(source: The Healthiest Meals on Earth by Jonny Bowden, Ph.D., C.N.S.)