- 3 tbsp avocado or vegetable oil
- 1 lb medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1/3 cup sautéed shrimp paste plus 1 teaspoon to flavor shrimp
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 thumb-size ginger, peeled and julienned
- 1 lb banana squash, peeled, deseeded and cubed
- 1 cup water
- 1 Chinese or Japanese eggplant, sliced into the diagonal (1-inch thick)
- 1 fresh bittermelon, halved, deseeded and sliced into the diagonal (1-inch thick)
- ½ lb fresh okra
- ½ lb green beans, ends trimmed
- 1 tomato, cut into wedges
- 2 serrano peppers (optional)
- Kosher salt
Heat one tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the shrimp and cook until pink, about 2 minutes. Stir in a teaspoon of shrimp paste. Transfer cooked shrimps onto a plate and set aside.
Using the same skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Add garlic and ginger; sauté for 1 minute. Add shrimp paste, stir for 20 seconds. Add squash and water; cover and let simmer for 3 minutes.
Add the eggplant, bittermelon, okra and beans. Cover and let simmer for another 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Make sure to stir the mixture occasionally.
Add the cooked shrimps, tomato and serrano peppers, if using; gently stir and correct seasonings with salt to taste.
Serve with steamed rice.